Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Rh Negative

Welp we can check "first pregnancy heart attack" off the list. Turns out when your blood type is A- (or any kind of -) and baby's daddy is O+ (or any kind of +) the doctors freak out, and freak you out, to the point where you have to stop everything that you are doing and run into the office. Welcome to my Monday afternoon. Even though I had told the doctors many times that I had a negative blood type (pretty rare) either they didn't believe me or they weren't listening. Either way, I had to drop everything I was doing and run into the office to get this massive shot in my butt. Ouch! Of course, I called Doug and he came rushing to the doctors to ask all the questions (I was freaking out and couldn't think) and this is basically what they told us:
1. My body doesn't have a certain antibody that baby does and our two blood types could start fighting it out. Being very bad for both babe and myself.
2. I have to get this shot 3 times (8 weeks, 28 weeks, and when my miracle is born)
3. They caught this early. If I had any sort of bleeding or spotting (thank god I haven't, like at all) it could have been bad.
4. I am now considered "high risk". Meaning I have to be delivered by an M.D. instead of a midwife because of the high potential of complications during delivery.
5. I have to be extra careful for the rest of this pregnancy and super careful for any other pregnancies down the road
After all our questions were answered the nurse then told me that I have a Vitamin D deficiency. I still don't know how that is possible considering I drink about a gallon of milk a week. I have to start taking more pills to make sure I get more Vitamin D. But it's not so terrible getting dr's orders to sit outside by the pool. Now if only the weather would cooperate!!

No comments:

Post a Comment